Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dashain


Dashain is the national and one of the biggest festivals in Nepal. Hindus and Buddhists in Nepal celebrate Dashain in the month of September or October for 15 days. Dashain is related to religious belief. People celebrate Dashain as a symbol of victory of goddess over wicked demons (as per holy book).


People put red colored rice (Tika) on forehead and sprouts of barley (Jamara) on their head. Red colour symbolizes happiness and rice and sprouts are symbol of prosperity. Tika and jamara is taken from elders along with blessings. I still remember that in my childhood I used to count the days for Dashain to come because I could get 15 days holiday from school and new dresses for the festival.

4 comments:

JANAK said...

Wonderful blog !

aygun said...

Thank you for posting information about Dashain Festival. I leaned a lot. The first picture - I thougth this is a dish that I can eat.
Aygun

Susan said...

Nice food! It sounds like an interesting celebration. What made it fun for you as a child?

zilahi adriana said...

Thank you for sharing your traditions. I can understand why you were happy in your childhood when this Festival began, new clothes, free days, what can a child hopes for more?